The Montgomery County Police Department has obviously paid heed and given thought to this tragic phenomenon and has come up with a checklist for future avoidance of pedestrian crashes.
Rather than summarize we offer their list verbatim with many thanks to the Montgomery County Police Department.
- Slow down and watch for pedestrians.
- Be aware that pedestrians can be virtually invisible at night or in bad weather.
- Obey traffic signals and devices.
- Yield to pedestrians in marked crosswalks.
- Realize that in any collision between a car and a pedestrian, it is the pedestrian who will bear the brunt of the impact regardless of who is at fault.
- Remain alert and do not assume drivers can see you.
- Do not expect drivers to see you and react in time.
- Use crosswalks where available and avoid walking in the streets.
- Before stepping off the curb, look left and right.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing and outerwear at dusk and at night.
- Wear clothing that does not restrict or impair your vision.
- Refrain from cell phone use while walking and crossing streets.
It all makes a lot of sense doesn't it ?