Victims of car and truck accidents often misunderstand what they can and can't recover for in damages. Damages are literally those injuries that flow naturally from a crash although some seemingly related consequences are not legally compensable. Among the damages that are legally recoverable are:
- Incurred medical expenses that are "fair and reasonable and causally related to the injuries sustained in the crash."
- Lost income or income-earning opportunities;
- Prescription and medical appliance costs that are "fair and reasonable and causally related to the injuries sustained in the crash".
- The present value of future lost wages. (A separate article on the subject of present value medical calculations is in process.)
- Lost family services such as housecleaning, yardwork, babysitting and repairs.
- Future medical expenses that are causally related to crash injuries and that probably will be incurred.